Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Dory and the Cockroach Hotel

I appologize in advance to all of you who hate roaches. The fact of the matter is they like my house. They used to get in through a hole in the AC unit in the tatami room. That has been fixed, but a few still find their way in from time to time. (I even saw one run in the front door once. It died shortly thereafter.) To combat the litte freaks, I have been using the Japanese version of the cockroach hotels placed strategically where I tend to see the roaches.
For those of you who have never been cursed with the darn things, a roach hotel is basically a cardboard box with openings in all the walls and sticky substance on the floor to prevent the roaches from checking out. I know just how sticky it is because I've brushed my finger against it once and it was hard to de-stick. The Japanese versions have a picture of a red house on the outside, complete with windows and doors for the bugs to enter and happy roaches dancing around the outside. They also come with bait in a little plastic thing with holes in it so the roaches can smell, but not eat. You drop the bait onto the center of the sticky stuff and it takes care of itself. Much easier than stomping or Raiding them away.
Dory has been fascinated with the roach hotels since she arrived home. She's weird, and we don't deny it. So far, it's just been a general curiousity about the strange things on the floor, but then I changed them out yesterday and put down new ones, and I guess the fresh bait smell attracks more than just roaches.
I was watching TV last night when Dory came in with a piece of suspiciously red cardboard attached to her foot extremely securely. I picked her up and went out to the kitchen to find bits of roach hotel all over. Luckily, it was new and thus empty, or it would have been really unpleasant. Instead, it was just kind of funny, other than the small matter of getting Dory's front paws unstuck from what was left of the thing.
Then I found the remains of an empty bait package. Suddenly I had two problems: 1. How do I de-stick my dog? and 2. Is the stuff she just ate going to kill her or just make her very ill?
I got the solution to the first problem from our ombudsman, Carmen, mother of two and expert in sticky stuff. A little vegetable oil got most of the problem off, but her foot still looks like a swiffer after it's been used. She's picking up bits of fuzz and dust everywhere she goes. I intend to try again to get it all off tonight. The thing is, it hurts the poor girl, so it's hard to convince her to let me work at it.
The second problem was more complicated because the box is all in Japanese, so I had no idea what the bait was. Luckily, I live in a very Japanese neighborhood, so I broke out my dictionary, found the word for poisonous, and then took Dory and the box from the roach hotels on a walk. I had just gotten to the street level when I ran into none other than the batman. That's right, the same guy who helped me out with the bat in my house was out in the road with a buddy who promptly asked me if Dory was a min-pin. I couldn't have gotten more lucky.
So we chatted, and I managed to tell him that Dory had eaten the bait and ask if it was poisonous. He laughed and said no it was not, so Dory didn't have to visit with a vet, lucky her. My neighbors are basically convinced of my insanity now, if they weren't before, but at least they're friendly about it. :-)

2 comments:

Larissa said...

Maybe we should send, oh say... husbands that hate to call and talk to people, to Japan as an exercise in confrontation. Maybe you should write a book of short stories about your time in Japan.

Barb said...

Anne and Zack,
Well I love this story. It's something I could see my dogs or Nicole's dogs doing. Mine had 2 chippys on Thurs. I don't know if they got them or Zoe the cat brought them in the house but Jezzy had one and was really pround of it. She didnt' want to let me take it away. Then about 10 min later, she's in another room and I find her with another one. I know not the same one cause I threw it out the front door!! I think cockroaches may be worse.
I really hope you get rid of them.
And I hope Dory's foot is ok. I had to really laugh at the picture of her being a swiffer for a day or 2.
Barb