Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Off to the Ball

The Supply Corps Ball was held here recently. Zack and I managed to get a babysitter and go. It was Ela’s first non-family babysitter in the States. It was our second Supply Corps Ball, and a bit bigger of deal than the one in Sasebo could be.
The ball was held at a lovely place just outside of the city, called the Sunset Room at National Harbor. We got a great view of the sun setting over the river as we enjoyed a pre-dinner drink or two.

We were seated for dinner with a bunch of Zack’s friends from work. We were supposed to be joined by an admiral, but he had something else come up at the last minute and couldn’t make it. We had a fun time at our table anyway.

There was a lovely speech by a Lt General from the Army about all the usual things. She said she was going to try to make it different from the usual speeches at these events. I’m not convinced she succeeded, but I appreciate her efforts. Then there was a superb dinner. I felt a little tiny bit homesick for the food that was always served at the Harbor View for these events (which was predictable and good) and for Louis, who ran things there. Then I tasted my steak. Harbor View is good, but this was heavenly.
So we enjoyed our meal, then a lovely cake, and then we returned home to find our miracle worker of a babysitter had managed to get the princess to bed. So it was a very successful and pleasant evening.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

LIKE! You guys look soooo cute in that first picture! I got my hair cut like that too... I think we should be friends :)