Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Anything But Wool

When I'm not traveling or watching Ela, I occasionally crochet. I used to do this a lot more, but Ela likes to play with my yarn, so now it's a rare evening activing if bedtime goes really well and I have energy left.

The thing is, unlike a lot of the knitters I know, I hate wool. It makes me itch. I don't usually make stuff for myself, but just working with wool yarn is iritating to my fingers if I do it for too long, so I tend to use yarn that feels nice and soft regardless of how natural it is. Usually, I make baby gifts, so I figure soft is good, and washable is better.

Lately though, I've gotten tired of pastels. I went through a phase where I both wanted to crochet and didn't want to look at anything in my yarn stash. Since I've promised Zack I won't buy more yarn until I've used up (and hopefully given away) a good bit of what I already have, this lead to a creative dilema for me. I went on a mad search for something to make that wouldn't require me to buy supplies. The result was this:






It's a pot scrubber. It's made from one of those shower scrubby things, which I cut into one long yarn-like strip. (The spoon is in the picture so you can see how big the final product is.) I had one made by someone else a long time ago and it worked really well, so I decided it was time for more. One shower scrubby thing made 8 or so scrubbers, so now I'm set for a loooong time. And it was a rather gratifying project. I mean, cutting up the material was rather a pain, and it took some practice crocheting it at first, but they turned out to be a nice useful thing. And it kept my hands busy while I watched Lost.

Now I'm back on another baby project, but I'm thinking about doing another non-yarn project again sometime soon. We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have this problem often. I have so much yarn but I am tired of the colors I have. Do you want to do a trade? I can let you know what all I have.

Maggie

Larissa said...

There is a cool one where you take old towels, cut them into strips and crochet them into bath mats! I'm trying that one soon. My sister made hanger covers out of yarn and the shirts don't slip off the hangers... I'll have to think of other projects.