Friday, January 20, 2012

Where is Ela's bed?

The move is in progress! My biggest complaint so far with this move is the timing.  We requested two consecutive days for the movers to pack everything, and then a day later in the same week to move it into the new home.  Those days were apparently unavailable, so what we got was three days spread pretty evenly over two weeks.  On the Friday before MLK weekend, some very nice ladies came and put all our stuff in boxes.  Then they left it in the house in DC all weekend long.  No, really.  So us girls hung around to watch the boxes get packed and then left poor Zack to deal with the rest.  The pay off for him is that he won't be around for the day it all arrives at the house.  Lily is about the same age as Ela was last time we moved, so for her, the packing up was something interesting to watch.


Ela is old enough now to wonder where her favorite things are.  She kept asking about toys that were already sealed up.  It took her awhile to process that the stuff was in the boxes to go on the truck.  We did find one way to amuse her, though (sorry about the flipped picture, I'm not working on my usual computer).
So we are living with my parents now.  Tuesday, Zack reported that movers came and picked up all our stuff.  The trouble was that they had another load to put into what was left of the truck.  We hoped they might make it to North Carolina anyway, but we're not that lucky.  Instead, our stuff is due to arrive Monday.

In the mean time, we've been working at the new house, though I admit most of the work was done by my family before we arrived.  Mom and Minjee painted everything, and I mean everything, and it looks super.  I helped with the finishing touches, but there was very little left to do.  We've put up curtains and shower curtains and gotten a dryer (the washer was installed by Dad and a friend before we got here).  It's all ready, and now we just wait.

And Ela gets progressively more confused.  I have been calling Mom's house "home", and she got very upset about that.  To her, this house is "the dog house" because that's where she sees all her favorite doggies.  It is NOT home.  I never would have thought that she'd get tired of being here, but she's starting to express a desire to go home.  Whenever we go to our new home, she goes to "Ela's new room" and hangs out.  She's started saying she wants to sleep there.  I keep telling her that she can as soon as her bed gets there.  That led to lots of questions about where Ela's bed is.  I think she gets that it's on a truck, but I'm sure she can't figure out what's taking that truck so long.  It must be the slowest truck ever.  That's what I keep telling her.  We're looking forward to Monday!

No comments: