Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Same But Different.

It has always amazed me how two little kids can be so very much like their parents and yet very different from each other. Zack and I have often discussed how much either Ela or Lily is like one of us, either physically or in attitude or preference. Yet the girls are very different little people. Lily eats anything that holds still long enough, Ela lives on air. Ela wants to snuggle all night long, Lily needs her space. It's really interesting to me to watch how they grow and emerge as their own people.
The differences between my girls really were apparent last week in one specific way. Ela hates having her hair touched, much less put up into a ponytail or washed. It gets tangled fairly easily, and she is convinced you're hurting her from the moment you approach her head. I finally got tired of the constant battles and took her in to get a super short haircut.
She actually sat very still for the cut, fascinated by the pieces of hair as they fell. The resulting cut is adorable (I'll post pictures when I get my computer back). Ela loves it and spent the rest of the day prancing in front of mirrors. She still complains when I approach with a comb, but it takes much less time to brush, so the battles are at an end.
When we got home, Ela went to her room for quiet time, and I set to work getting Lily to take a nap. I got her all snuggled in my arms, and she presented me with her little, soft hairbrush. Amused, I ran it over her little fluff of hair. She loved it. I brushed her hair until she got so relaxed she fell asleep.
There may be fun girly hairdos in my future yet.

No comments: