Saturday, April 21, 2007

Driving like the Japanese

This is Domanik, our Honda Domani.

March 19th, 2007

I don't think I ever really got to explain to you the joy that was our driving test, and now that Zack's too busy to look over my shoulder and scoff, I think I will.

The first thing you should know is that in Japan, they drive on the left. The second thing you should know is that they don't give you any time to practice before you take the test. Driving on the left is not so bad if you've got somebody to follow, but the first time I did it, I was being tested, the first person who took the test had failed, and there was no one driving on base. So I was freaked. In addition, part of the test was backing into a spot, which I had never done before. Thankfully, we didn't have to parallel park, so I survived. I only hit my wipers instead of the blinker once, and I only tried to go to the wrong side of the road once, but I caught myself, so I got a license. Whew. Zack, of course, had complete faith in his own abilities and did not worry at all.
So the second time I drove on the left side of the road was alone in my very own car. I knew where I was going, but let me tell you, that night driving was like the first day I ever drove a car all over again. The roads here are pretty tiny. I mean, sometimes there's not really enough room for two cars to drive side by side, but it's a two way road. It was stressful, but I only had to make one right turn (the hardest part) so I made it home without incident that first night. But then we went back to base to drop off some stuff for Zack and we got lost (we missed a turn because we don't walk the same route we drive). That's where it got stressful again. I think the darkness factor was the worst, so I guess I'll be trying to keep myself restricted to daylight for a little while.
And the biggest challenge of any driving outing is getting back into our parking lot. The road we're on is one way, and the driveway into our parking lot has a concrete wall on either side of it. There's room for one car to get in or out at a time. Once in, I have to do a U turn (or, usually a three point turn) to get up to my spot. I have been successful so far only because 1) no one's been coming or going when I arrive or leave and 2) the people who own the spots just inside the turn have been gone, so I can use their space to get turned around. We'll see how it goes when one of these factors changes.
There are some things I really like about driving here, though. 1) The driving age is 20, and you're required to go to driving school before you can legally drive. I'm told that people do it illegally all the time, but at least most of the drivers should be good as a result of these rules. 2) New Japanese drivers are required to post signs (one on the front, one on back) on their cars indicating that they've just been licensed. They have to stay posted for the first two years that they drive. The signs are each a little chevron, one half is yellow, the other green. This warns everyone else to watch out for them. Americans are not required to use them, but every girl in our class was anxious to buy their own (the guys are too macho to admit they want one). So our car is duly labeled, which makes me feel a little better. They have similar signs for people over the age of 70, which are raindrop shaped, half yellow, half orange. I think it makes sense, especially in the new driver's case.
So driving is going pretty well. I've only hit my windshield wipers instead of the blinker once today, and I've managed to stay on the correct side of the road, so I think I'll be okay. I'm not sure I'll be taking some of the side roads, but may be I'll get brave as I get better.

No comments: