Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Horray for work!

March 14th, 2007
I have a job! I had my interview today. They only have one class available this semester, but I figure it's better to be less busy for awhile so I can get settled in. I will be teaching a conversation class through the child care department of a community college in town. Basically, they are training to teach kindergarten or work in day care, and they want to do internships on the Navy Base, so they need some vocabulary and practice with child care terms.
There are a lot of reasons that I like this job. Mostly, I miss teaching, but also it gives me a ridiculously large amount of freedom in the classroom. The curriculum is only loosely set up. I'm going to get a copy of the outline via e-mail, and that's it. They've told me they don't really care what we do as long as it's educational. So I can cater to my students. The hard part will be the fact that I know very little about child care, so I will need to find out some more about that. Luckily, I've signed up for an outing with the Officer's spouses club on Thursday, and the woman who taught the class before me will be there, so I get to meet her and find out what she did. Basically, I'm super excited about the whole thing.
My bosses assure me that they should have a few more classes available next semester (which starts in late September), may be even in the English department this time. In the mean time, I can sub for other teachers there, and I can sub at the high school on base as well, not to mention the Japanese classes I'd like to take. So much to do, so little time... I think I'll find ways to stay productive.

No comments: