Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Going Batty: Part II

Okay, so I posted that last thing about the bat, then I sat tight and did school work and played around on the computer for awhile. Around 9:30, the bat reappeared in the hallway. I grabbed my phone, my keys, and the number for animal control and bolted out the door.
Animal control, of course, was gone for the night. Their number forwarded me right back to security. I explained my situation. They took my information and said they'd call me back. If there's one thing I've learned here it's that security is not nearly as reliable as it sounds, so I called Mel, too.
Mel gamely welcomed me to her home if security failed to do anything. However, that would mean reentering the house to get at least something for my contacts. So I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.
I wandered back down to the store where I met my hero of earlier tonight. He wasn't there anymore, but I bought a bottle of tea and the Japanese version of a moon pie to settle my nerves, and because I figured the storekeeper deserved that much after my little scene earlier. Then I waited on my own front porch for about forty-five minutes. I could see the bat flying around through the glass doors on the patio everyone once in awhile. Finally, I lost patience and I called security again.
The person I spoke to this time had no idea who I was, so I gave her all my info again. She said she'd find out what was going on and call me back. :::sigh::: Okay, fine. So I stood and waited for another fifteen minutes. Then I decided to start being annoying.
I called security again. This time the person on the phone knew who I was, but told me she needed my number again and she'd call me back. I politely, but stubbornly, refused to get off the phone until she told me what the heck was going on there. She told me that they were trying to get ahold of my "housing director" in order to see what could be done. I said fine and hung up.
I had no idea who my housing director was, but I decided that if they needed clearance, I might be able to help. One advantage to not cleaning out my purse is that I still had the business card of my realitor/landlady in my purse. I called her. The lady who answered was not her, I don't think. At any rate, it took me a little while just to express who I was, and I don't think I ever quite got across what the problem was. She did get that there was somethign alive in my house that shouldn't be there, but she said they'd have to call a pest service tomorrow. Deflated, I hung up.
I had pretty much decided that I was on my own for the night. I also decided that meant I had to go back in the house. And If I was going back in the house, I was going to stay there, darn it. But I needed more nerve. So I called Mel and appraised her of the situation for a moral boost. Then Midori called.
Midori is my landlady. She's a sweet lady with a solid hold on a little English. She has just enough that between her English and my Japanese we can actually communicate. She had apparently gotten word from someone of my situation, and she told me she was on her way over. I almost cried I was so happy.
Midori arrived may be ten minutes later with plastic bags and gloves. I think she thought the animal in question was dead. I explained that that wasn't the case. She suggested opening doors and scaring it out. Of course, this meant finding it. So in we went. After hunting through the main rooms, I found the little bugger taking a nap on the A/C unit in the tatami room. We opened the sliding door in that room and were working on how to get the thing out when security FINALLY showed up, a solid two hours after I originally called them. I don't know who was happier: me or Midori.
There were three of them and I joyfully led them into the room where the bat was hiding. They closed themselves in with it and made sure the sliding door was open. One of them used one of my blankets (which I need to remember to wash) to actually pick up the little bat and basically toss him into the air outside. The rest of us were highly impressed. Security got some information from me and left.
Midori hung around to check up on me. She asked about the situation with the AC unit that had been fixed and about Dory. Midori likes Dory because their names are so similar. She was delighted to hear that it was Dory's birthday today, and she told me her birthday is coming up, also in May. I have half a mind to buy her a present. She sympathized with me being all alone here with a freaking bat, and now she has returned home. I'm impressed that she came out at 11:00 at night in the first place. She taught me a new Japanese word: koomori is bat. I'm going to remember that one.
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to sub tomorrow, even if they do call. I'm exhausted from all the evening's excitement. I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

erica said...

Sigh of relief. =)

Disregard the comment I just made, before this post showed up!