Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My house is animal-friendly?

Okay, so I got home from my Japanese class tonight, plugged in my phone to charge in the kitchen, warmed up some dinner, and sat down to finish my grad school work for the day (three assignments due on the first day of class). I was mostly through eating when a bat (seriously, a little brown BAT) came racing into my kitching/living room from the shower area. Insert minor panic attack here. The bat was pretty freaked out, too.
My past experience with bats was just enough that I knew I didn't want to be in a room where one was flying frantically around at head level, so I ran into the hall (which makes little difference since it's wide open to the room) and finally retreated to the entry way. The problem was that now I had a bat in my house and no access to my phone, with which I might be able to call someone who 1) speaks English and 2) might be willing to come get the darn thing out. And of course, all I can think is "How did a BAT get into my house??? There's only one open window in the place, and it has a screen!!" This did not make the bat any less there. So I decided it was time to practice some Japanese. I grabbed my keys and my shoes and left.
I didn't think driving all the way to base was a good plan considering the state of things. I'd rather montior my situation and wait for help to arrive. So I was hoping the tako stand across the street from my place would be open and I could attempt to borrow a phone there and call security. (FYI: Tacos=yummy Mexcian food. Tako= octopus. Our stand is Tako, not Tacos.) They were closed, so I hurried up the street to the convenience store that was actually open. Inside were two men: the storekeeper and a customer.
Now, keep in mind that I'm a little freaked because I've just had a bat flying around my head. The rational part of my brain knows the words for phone, and even cell phone. It can also construct the sentence "Do you have a cell phone?" in Japanese on a good day. This was not a good day. So I began babbling at double speed in English. The poor storekeeper looked like I had lost my mind, which wasn't far from the truth. Finally, I managed to spit out phone, and the customer handed me his.
Success! A phone. I thanked the man profusely. Now I just needed to call security and I'd have someone who spoke the same language as me to come and help me with my bat situation. Of course, numbers are not my strong suit. Never have been, never will be. Under more normal circumstances, I could have remembered the number for security (it's 911 with a bunch of extra numbers on the front), but at this moment, I couldn't remember it. So I thanked the guy profusely and gave the phone back. The guy was no dummy, and noticed I hadn't made a call, so he stared at me like I was insane, too.
So I decided to go for pity. I managed to find the words for my house and bird in Japanese, and then I kind of babbled again, only with those mixed in. "Watashi no Uchi... um... there's a, well sort of a Tori um... in my house." And I pointed and flapped my arms. Heck, they already were certain I was nuts, why not go for broke? The two consulted and pointed in the same direction. I'm about the only white girl in a three block radius, so I'm sure they knew where I lived. Finally, the customer said, "Bird? In house?" And I nodded but said, "not bird, but bat." He had no idea what a bat was. So I tried to explain. I don't think I had any luck. But I did get some pity. The poor guy offered to come look for me. Turns out, he lives by the tako stand. He got a broom and a dust pan and followed me to my house.
The bat was gone. I proceeded to panic a little more. Where did it go? Was it going to jump out at me later tonight? Was it (insert psycho music here) in my bedroom??? My new hero (sorry Rob) handled it very calmly. He wandered around my whole house whistling for the "not a bird" and looking in every nook and cranny. When we couldn't find it, I shrugged and thanked him another hundred times. I also grabbed my phone and moved it into arms reach, along with the number for security. My hero told me he lived across the way and indicated that I could come by if it came back, prompting more thanking.
When he was gone, I called security. They were mildly annoyed, but helpful. They gave me the number to call if the bat comes back and assured me that Japanese bats only eat fruit and bugs, not people. I was more worried about getting rabies from one, but I suppose it was a nice thought. So now I'm sitting here with the phone and my new number within arms reach ready to bolt at the slightest movement. Geckos, I can handle. Roaches, I'll kill on my own, fine. But bats? This is ridiculous.
And I still don't know how it got in...

1 comment:

erica said...

Hopefully this guy belongs to the majority of good bats who just eat the bugs you don't like. But still... it must have been a little wild to see this thing in your apartment. Here's hoping for your (continued?) sanity until he leaves! =)