Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Kyoto Highlights

From Nara, we went to Kyoto where we experienced the longest day of sightseeing of the entire trip. We arrived at the Golden Pavilion (which I've blogged about before) right when it opened at 9:00 am and didn't go back home until everything was closed around 5 or 6 in the evening. It was exhausting! And HOT!
Most of what we saw I had seen with my parents in April, but we did visit a few new places, one of which was the Heian Shrine (probably misspelled). This shrine is relatively new, and dedicated to the peace of the country in some way. It's primary draw is the extensive gardens behind the shrine. The best part of the gardens while we were there was the lily ponds:




From the Heian Shrine, we went to another Shrine known for the Tori Gate tunnel there. This shrine was featured in Memoirs of a Geisha for those of you who have seen the movie. This is a Tori Gate:


And this is what it looks like when you put thousands and thousands of them together in a row:

We wandered around there for awhile before heading to Gion Cho for lunch. For pictures of the other places we visited, see the pictures from my parents' trip this spring. Since I had a lot of pics already, I didn't go entirely camera happy this time, and I think my old ones are better.



No comments: