Monday, August 25, 2008

Chris Paul has a Gold Medal!!!

I have been able to watch a lot of the Olympics because I don't have cable at home (long story). Instead, I've been watching a little at the gym when I go (I caught one day of track and two or three of synchronized diving) and noting some of the headlines on the internet and over the radio. It's been mildly annoying, especially when I find out things like Japan got their first medal in fencing and I couldn't watch it, but not a big deal.
Until today.
I turned on the computer and went to yahoo to check my mail, and who should stare back at me but a former student from the school where I taught in NC, with a gold medal around his neck. It took me about three minutes to process, and then I had to read the caption two or three times to make sure I wasn't making it up. For those of you who don't know, Chris Paul was a senior at the high school where I taught back when I was student teaching. I met him several times and he really is just as nice as all the publicity says. I was a HUGE Wake Forest fan for the time that he played basketball there, and then kind of lost track of him. I'm told he still comes back to his alma mater to give talks to the freshman about how important school is when he has time.
And now that kid has a gold medal and I didn't even know he was on the US team!!!!
How did I miss that? I'm so depressed. I mean, I'm totally excited for him, and in awe of what a terribly small world it is, but I can't believe I didn't see a single game, and that I had no clue that he was even in China. I feel so out of the loop...
So congratulations to Chris Paul... oh and the rest of the team...

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Aw, how cool that you know him. They talked a lot about the "redeem team", and the fact that they wanted to make up for the last several olympic teams lack of gold medals, but the games were on at odd times, like in the mornings. Yay for 12 hour time differences. But, I think even here other stuff overshadowed the basketball. At least that's how it seemed to me. It's good to know that Chris Paul is as cool as everyone makes him out to be. He still comes back to W-S a couple times a year to do mini camps & charity events too, so yay for him and all his goodness!! :-)