Tuesday, August 5, 2008

One Fish Two Fish...

So at 5 am the morning after Asakusa, we were on our way to the subway to go see the fish market. (Note: If you are pregnant and plan to go to a fish market first thing in the morning, expect to feel sick for the rest of the day.) We wandered through this giant area that looked something like this:




... and finally came to some stalls that had interesting sea creatures in them...














But of course, the primary site of interest was the tuna auctions going on in the back. These guys were up for sale to the highest bidder:






The whole place was bustling with people selling, cutting, and transporting fish. I felt kind of bad for them trying to hurry about their business with all of us tourists meandering through, but I suppose they're used to it. Anyway, we had a nice look around then retreated home for breakfast... I'd also like to give special thanks to my personal photographer for the morning:


He left that afternoon to go back to his normal job, but we had a nice visit for a couple days there. The rest of us had a relaxed breakfast before setting off for Nikko.

3 comments:

Don said...

You have earned a multitude of pregnancy points for going to a fish market at 5 am during your first trimester! Holy crap, I wouldn't have made it. Had you told everyone at that point?? If you pulled that off without giving away the fact you were pregnant you definitely win Pregnant Woman of the Year.

--- Tucker

Larissa said...

Is that an eel in that bucket? Anything eel like gives me the creeps.

A fish market while pregnant doesn't sound fun. I lived on white rice a miso for the first few months with Noah, coincidentally. It was even my Christmas dinner.

Anne said...

Yes, everyone knew I was pregnant, thankfully. And rice and miso are about all I ate on this trip after we arrived in Tokyo, so I can totally relate to that. Now, though, rice is connected in my head to feeling nasty, so I can't really eat it anymore. I've replaced it with wheat thins... :-)