Friday, September 19, 2008

Zack is broken

At 7:30 this morning, I got a call from Zack. He told me he had hurt his knee and that he was on his way to medical. He said I should just go about my day and he'd keep me posted. At 9:30, he called again to tell me that his leg was broken and they were inspecting for further damage around the knee. Again, he told me to keep on going about my day and he'd let me know when he was on his way home. Sooo... I went and volunteered at the thrift shop as planned.
No sooner had I arrived at the shop then I got another call. The doctors had decided to send Zack to Yokusuka. Would I be able to come along or would someone from the ship have to go? I said I'd go and then he got off the phone to head home. He said we could discuss when I got home.
Sooooo... at 2:00 I finally found my way home and got the whole story. Here's what we know so far:
In an unfortunate play gone wrong in a game of flag football, Zack made a block that caused the injury. The doctors here could x-ray, but dono't have the capability to do much more, so they called the ortho department up in Yokusuka (a much bigger base) who hemmed and hawed for a few hours before deciding they better send him up to make sure there wasn't further knee damage. On Sunday, we'll be leaving for Yokusuka, though exactly what time is still up in the air. There's no room for us at the hotel on base, so we need to find a place to stay. Zack says he'll take care of that tomorrow when we have the orders to go (he's feeling a little frustrated at the whole having to hold still thing). They'll look at the leg on Monday and decide if they need to operate or what. They say we should expect to be there about two weeks. If it's really bad, they'll send Zack on to Hawaii for surgery. He's not likely to set foot on the ship again for at least six weeks because until he's totally healed, he can't get on it at all.
Sooooo... the rest of the day has been spent scrambling for subs for the bazillion classes I have, notifying all the people who may or may not need me in the next two weeks, and finding a place to keep Dory. I'm also doing laundry and wondering about the state of the refrigerator. Tomorrow, I will teach four classes and pack us both up since Zack is more or lesss immobile. He's got a brace on his leg and his knee is super swollen. They didn't have any crutches tall enough for him, so he has a pair that barely reach the middle of his ribs. The scariest thing about the brace for me is that we have to take it on and off for him to change clothes or shower or what not, and I worry that we won't get it on properly and that we'll do more harm to him than is already done. I'll be glad when we're safely in Yokusuka and they have a look.
We'll keep you posted and let you know when we find out more.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

Get well soon, Zack!

Tucker said...

Oh no! Get well soon, Zack! I hope you guys have safe travels.

erica said...

Man! I hope he's doing better and that he won't have to go all the way to Hawaii for surgery-- hopefully the recovery will go quickly.

Um, tell him he's not allowed to play flag football after the baby comes. No broken daddies allowed. =)