Monday, December 29, 2008

For the Crafty Folk

One of the many reasons I like my college level class is that they are a group of rational adult students who like to do all the preschool type activities (these are students who are getting a degree to become preschool teachers). So I can play with them like I would with a younger class, but I can also talk to them like grown ups. It's really really fun.
Of course, we did a lesson (two actually) on Christmas this year. First we translated Christmas songs, then we talked about some Christmas vocabulary and did word searches and crosswords. Then we got to craft time. I gave my students two simple craft suggestions. First, I showed them how to make snowflakes. They, of course, are far better snowflake makers than me. Then, I showed them how to make a paper chain of people. I did a very simple one with a stick figure, more or less, and then gave them all paper and scissors and told them to have fun. Here are the results:
First, we have a really cute variation on the person theme...

Then they expanded out on the same idea (this one really blew my mind)...

Then they decided, why stop at human-like figures? And we got into some Christmas symbols:


I was really impressed by their creativity and talent. For people who were (as best I can tell) doing this for the first time, it was really quite amazing. :-) It made for a fun class.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

erica said...

Well, now I want to take your class! My English is pretty good, but maybe it could use some brushing up... hehehe. I'm glad you're able to do such fun stuff with them and they don't roll their eyes at you, the way adults who don't work with or have kids might.