Thursday, June 9, 2011

Smiles

This afternoon, when Ela's "quiet time" was over, I went up to get her out of bed.  I've learned the hard way that allowing her to sleep past about 3:30 is bad for bedtime, so I go hassle her around then most afternoons.  Today, I was carrying Lily, who was fighting her afternoon nap with all her little strength.  When I got into Ela's room, I sat down on the end of her bed to help her wake up gradually.  She sat up for a minute, then she took my hand and lay back down.  She was still half asleep and her eyes closed right back up, and then she smiled a little in her half-asleep state.  I looked over at Lily, whose eyes were opening and closing at random as she fought sleep.  Her eyes closed involuntarily, and she smiled the exact same smile that Ela had just smiled. 
I smiled too.

No comments: